To provide safe and easy movement of people and goods from place to place, we will:
A long-term, reliable, professional and highly productive organization.
ODOT's Guiding Principles
We will serve, innovate, and communicate with purpose.
We will be productive, lean, efficient and effective.
We will utilize the public resources entrusted to us by satisfying the State’s transportation needs.
We will be the standard of excellence for winter maintenance.
We will create a working environment based on trust and mutual respect.
We will value the diversity of all ODOT people.
We will work together—one team: the Ohio Department of Transportation.
How are we doing?
Our mission at ODOT is to provide the safe and easy movement of people and goods from place-to-place. And, we strive daily to reach that goal by: improving safety; taking care of what we have; making our system work better; and, enhancing capacity. Ohio’s network of roads, bridges, and highways is the state’s most valuable physical asset – totaling $115 billion.
If you think that is impressive, check out some Ohio statistics
click the stats to visit ODOT's Facts Books for even more details on the state's transportation system...
ODOT's Performance Metrics
Clearly, we have a large and very significant responsibility. So, you’re probably wondering, “how is ODOT doing at achieving its goals, and are they doing it responsibly.” Well, the answer is in the data, and we gauge our performance using Critical Success Factors (CSFs).
|We invite you to check out our two Critical Success Factor assessments, which are updated quarterly:|
ODOT's Critical Success Factor Report
ODOT's Critical Success Factor Dashboard
district & county level breakdown
Below are details on ODOT's CSF categories and the specific metrics.
Category: Promote Safety
We will champion a culture of safety within ODOT and on Ohio’s roads.
• Workforce Injuries - Total incidents resulting in workers compensation claims.
• Vehicle Liability Incidents - Total incidents resulting in vehicle liability claims.
• Fatalities - Fatalities on Ohio’s roads in the current calendar year. GOAL: 2% decrease over the 5-year average.
• Serious Injuries - Incapacitating injuries on Ohio’s roads in the current calendar year. GOAL: 2% decrease over the 5-year average.
• Bike-Pedestrian Fatalities - Bicycle and pedestrian fatalities on Ohio’s roads in the current calendar year. GOAL: 2% decrease over the 5-year average.
• Bike-Pedestrian Injuries - Bicycle and pedestrian injuries on Ohio’s roads in the current calendar year. GOAL: 2% decrease over the 5-year average.
Category: Preserve Our Assets
We will deliver preventive maintenance for Ohio’s transportation system and capital assets to protect our investments.
• Bridge Condition - Percent of bridge deck area in good or fair condition, meaning that both the deck and general appraisal ratings are at least 5 on a scale of 1-9. GOAL: 97%
• Conduit Condition - Percent of conduits in good or fair condition, meaning that the general appraisal ratings are at least 5 on a scale of 1-9. GOAL: 95%
• Priority System Pavements - Average pavement conditions for interstates and 4-lane divided highways. Ratings are on a scale of 0-100 and conditions are weighted based on lane miles & average daily traffic. GOAL: 85
• General System Pavements - Average pavement conditions for rural, two-lane US and State routes outside of cities. Ratings are on a scale of 0-100 and conditions are weighted based on lane miles & average daily traffic. GOAL: 80
• Maintenance Conditions Rating - New Measure coming soon.
Category: Program Stewardship
We will implement effective planning and forecasting processes that deliver the right projects on time and on budget.
• ODOT Projects Awarded On-Time - Percentage of construction contracts sold by ODOT that are awarded within 30 days of their target date. Projects awarded late due to non-preventable reasons are not considered late. GOAL: 90%
• Local Projects Awarded On-Time - Percentage of construction contracts sold by Local Agencies that are awarded within 30 days of their target date. Projects awarded late due to non-preventable reasons are not considered late. GOAL: 90%
• Minority Business Enterprise - Percent of operating budget in categories determined by the Department of Administrative Services (DAS) that is awarded to Minority Business Enterprises (MBEs). GOAL: 15%
• Construction Project Completion - Percent of construction projects opened to traffic in past year that were completed within 120% of estimated construction duration. GOAL: 80%
• Construction Project Final Cost - Percent of construction projects completed in past year where total costs were within 110% of the original contract amount. GOAL: 90%
Category: Value Employees
We will respect and care for the well-being and development of our employees.
• Work Life Index - New Measure coming soon.
• Diverse Workforce - Percent progress in meeting the female and minority new hire baseline, established with regional census & employee data. GOAL: 80%
Category: System Efficiency
We will provide a reliable and efficient transportation system.
• Travel Time Reliability Index (TTRI) - The percentage of time between the 5 a.m.-9 p.m. that travelers experience free flow on Ohio’s freeways. GOAL: 88%
• Snow & Ice Control - The percent of priority routes that recovered speeds within two hours after a snow event. Rated only during winter quarters. GOAL: 96%