Owners of Ohio based aircraft are required to register their aircraft annually with the Office of Aviation, regardless of the aircraft's airworthiness status.
The registration period runs between Jan. 1 and Jan. 31 annually. Renewal notices are mailed to owners of previously registered aircraft in the month preceding the annual registration period. Renewal registrations must be postmarked or processed online no later than Jan. 31. Aircraft registrations are non-transferable.
In accordance with the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 4561.17 and 4561.18, owners of Ohio based aircraft are required to register their aircraft with the Office of Aviation annually, regardless of the aircraft's airworthiness status. A license fee is required to be paid for all airworthy aircraft.
Ohio Aircraft Registration is independent from the FAA Aircraft Registration.
The registration period for renewals runs between Jan. 1 and Jan. 31 annually. Renewal notices are mailed to owners of previously registered aircraft in the month preceding the annual registration period. Renewal registrations must be postmarked or processed online no later than Jan. 31. Registration applications postmarked or processed online after January 31 are subject to a fine of up to $500. There is a fine of up to $500 per aircraft for failing to annually register an Ohio based aircraft.
NOT AIRWORTHY AIRCRAFT
Even though an aircraft may not be airworthy, it is still required to be registered as such with the Office of Aviation annually. No fee is required for aircraft registered as Not Airworthy. If the aircraft becomes airworthy at any time during the year, the owner is required to contact the Office of Aviation to update its status and pay the applicable registration fee.
Upon purchasing an aircraft that is to be based in Ohio, the buyer must make application for registration with the Office of Aviation within 30 days of the purchase date and pay the applicable registration fee. There is no reduction in the registration fee for aircraft purchased later in the year. All new registrations must be completed by mail using the Ohio aircraft registration form attached to this page.
Aircraft registrations are non-transferable.
How to Register
The registration period for renewals runs between Jan. 1 and Jan. 31 annually. Renewal notices are mailed to owners of previously registered aircraft in the month preceding the annual registration period. Renewal registrations must be postmarked or processed online no later than Jan. 31.
Owners of aircraft previously registered in Ohio will receive a renewal notice in the mail in mid to late December each year. If you choose to process your registration through the mail, please follow these steps:
- Verify Owner Information is correct. If not, make changes as necessary.
- Verify the Aircraft Base is correct. If not, enter the correct Aircraft Base.
- Indicate the Registration Category by checking the appropriate box.
- Sign and Date the application.
- Check the box under the signature line if you would like to receive an Ohio aeronautical publication.
- If payment is applicable, write a check for the amount due payable to TREASURER STATE OF OHIO.
- Mail signed application and any applicable fee to the Office of Aviation using the envelope enclosed with your registration notice.
Depending on your Registration Category, the registration process can be completed online or by mail. Online registration is only available for Renewal and Not Airworthy categories. All other Registration Categories must be processed by mail, including: New, Sold, Destroyed/Scrapped, and Aircraft No Longer Based in Ohio.
Online registration is available for Renewal and Not Airworthy categories only. All other registration categories must be processed by mail, including: New, Sold, Destroyed/Scrapped, and Aircraft No Longer Based in Ohio.
You may register and pay by credit card securely online using the Aviation Registration Management System (AVRMS).
For a step-by-step tutorial on how to register your aircraft online using AVRMS, follow the below tutorial.
REGISTRATION BY MAIL
If you did not receive a renewal notice in the mail or if you are filing for a new Ohio aircraft registration, please complete the registration process by completing the below form as follows.
- Enter the Owner Information for Primary and any Secondary Owners
- Enter the aircraft N Number, Manufacturer, Model, and Number of Seats
- NOTE: For registration purposes and in accordance with ORC 4561.18(D)(1), the Number of Aircraft Seats is determined by and based solely on the number of seats listed in the FAA Aircraft Registry for the specific manufacturer and model of aircraft.
- For assistance in determining the number of registered seats, contact the Office of Aviation at (614) 387-2354.
- Enter the FAA Airport ID and Name of Airport or Physical Address of where the aircraft is based.
- If the aircraft is not based at a FAA listed airport, enter the physical street address of where the aircraft is based in the space provided.
- All aircraft registrations must indicate an aircraft base.
- Select the Registration Category by checking the appropriate box on the form.
- Refer to the matrix below for information on Category and if a fee is required.
|New||New application for registration of an Ohio based aircraft||Yes|
|Renewal||Renewal of previously registered Ohio based aircraft||Yes|
|Not Airworthy||Aircraft is not airworthy and will not be flown in the current registration year*||No|
|Destroyed/Scrapped||Aircraft has been destroyed or scrapped||No|
|No Longer Based in Ohio||Aircraft is no longer based in Ohio||No|
* If an aircraft that was previously registered as Not Airworthy becomes airworthy at any time during the year, the owner must contact the Office of Aviation to update its’ status and pay the applicable registration fee.
- If payment is due based upon Registration Category matrix above, enter Amount Due.
- Calculating Registration Fee: Number of FAA Registered Seats X $15 = Amount Due
- Gliders and Balloons are $15 per Aircraft
SIGNATURE AND DATE
- Sign and Date registration application form
PAYMENT of FEE if payment of fee is applicable
- Make check or money order for amount due payable to: TREASURER STATE OF OHIO
- Verify amount on check matches the Amount Due on application form and that check is signed
- There is NO FEE REQUIRED for: Not Airworthy, Sold, Destroyed/Scrapped, and Aircraft No Longer Based in Ohio
- Mail signed application form and payment (if applicable) to:
Office of Aviation – Aircraft Registration
2829 W. Dublin-Granville Road
Columbus, OH 43235
Must I register my aircraft, and must I pay a fee?
You must register your aircraft if you are the current owner of an airworthy or not airworthy aircraft, and a fee is required for new registration or renewal of registration for aircraft in an airworthy condition. A fee is not required if the aircraft is no longer airworthy, has been scrapped/destroyed, has been sold, or is no longer based in Ohio.
Must I register my aircraft that is not airworthy?
Yes. Although you do not have to pay a registration fee until the aircraft is returned to an airworthy status, you must still register your aircraft annually.
Must I register if I hold an N-number or data plate but do not have an aircraft?
Yes. There is no fee, but annual registration is required if you also hold an associated airworthiness certificate.
Must I register my aircraft if I live in Ohio but the aircraft is based in another state?
Yes. If your address is in Ohio, we assume your aircraft is also in Ohio until/unless you notify us. Once we receive your registration application notifying us that your aircraft is based in another state, you will not need to renew the registration with Ohio unless you decide to base the plane in Ohio in the future.
Is there a deadline for completing my annual aircraft registration?
Yes, the deadline is Jan. 31. Registration renewals not received by Jan. 31 may be referred to the Ohio Attorney General for collection. There is a fine of up to $500 for failure to register any aircraft based in Ohio.
When must I register an aircraft that I have recently purchased?
Upon purchasing an aircraft, you must mail in an application for registration within 30 days of the purchase date along with your check. There is not a prorated fee for aircraft purchased later in the year.
What are my options for renewing my aircraft’s registration?
You are encouraged to use the online Aviation Registration Management System and pay by credit or debit card to renew previously registered aircraft, or you may choose to print the application attached to this page and submit it by mail with your check.
What are my options for registering my aircraft for the first time?
For first time registrations of recently purchased or recently built aircraft, you must submit your registration application by mail. AVRMS online registration processing is available only for aircraft currently in the registration database, but you will then be able to renew your registration using AVRMS in subsequent years once your initial application has been received.
What if the number of seats listed on my aircraft registration application (for renewal) is not the same as the actual number of seats in my aircraft?
The registration fee for your aircraft is based on the maximum certificated seating capacity of that aircraft. The FAA provides this information to the Office of Aviation. (To see the maximum certificated seating capacity of your aircraft when making application for a new Ohio registration, visit the FAA Registry website.)
What aircraft home base information is required?
All aircraft registration applications must include complete information about the aircraft home base including contact name, airport name, identifier and airport address, if the airport is not a known public use airport.
What is the best way to submit a change of aircraft base or aircraft owner change of address?
Ohio Revised Code 4561.18 requires owners of registered aircraft to update the ODOT Office of Aviation if the airport or other place at which the aircraft is usually based changes. The best way to forward this information to the Office of Aviation is to log in to your online registration account to submit the changed information. If you are unable to do so, you may send the updated information via email to ODOT.Aircraft.Registration@dot.ohio.gov. You may also mail in the updated information to the Office of Aviation at the address listed on this page.
What if my aircraft registration application is returned?
Your application may be returned to you for one or more of the following common reasons:
- Aircraft home base is missing.
- Payment: Check not enclosed, amount not correct, and/or check not signed.
- Registration category: The proper category box (New, Renewal, Sold, Aircraft Not Based in Ohio, Not Airworthy) is not checked.
If your application is returned, we will alert you to the reason, and your prompt attention to making the necessary change(s) and returning your application will be necessary.