Program Purpose and Description
As authorized by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), 49 USC Section 5339, the Bus and Bus Facilities Program is designed to provide federal funds to assist with the purchase of capital assets for public transit systems in rural portions of the state in order to help meet the program goals.
The goals of the Bus and Bus Facilities Program are:
- to assist eligible recipients in replacing, rehabilitating, and purchasing buses and bus-related equipment.
- to renovate and construct bus-related facilities.
- to overall ensure that public transit systems in Ohio have vehicles, equipment, and facilities of sufficient quality and quantity.
- to ensure that public transit systems can provide safe, efficient, and effective public transportation to the people of the state.
Federal Transit Administration (FTA) appropriation information is available on the FTA Grants for Buses and Bus Facilities Program page.
Who Can Apply?
Counties, Municipalities, Villages, Regional Transit Authorities, County Transit Boards, Private Nonprofit Corporations designated by a county or municipality and a County or Municipal department on behalf of a county, municipality or village.
These entities must be located in or providing service for rural areas of the State of Ohio.
Applications are completed through a two-part process.
- First there is a letter of intent which is completed through Formstack and is due late winter for the next calendar year.
- Second there is an application which is processed in the BlackCat system for those agencies which have submitted a letter of intent. This application is due in spring of the year for the projects for the following calendar year. This application consists of the application document as well as several other required forms with information about the proposed projects.
Awards are typically made in the summer for the following calendar year.