CY 2021 Operating Template
Quarterly Operating Expense And Reconciliation Report Instructions
The following instructions will assist you to accurately complete and submit the ODOT Office of Transit Quarterly Operating Expense and Reconciliation Report.
The process was designed in such a manner that minimal data entry is necessary. Data entered in cells highlighted in tan will auto fill on all subsequent tabs. The blue highlighted cells require data entry each quarter.
The Excel file contains four Tabs. The Project Information Tab is used to collect the grantee name and general grant information. The Revenues Tab is used to report all Revenues collected each quarter. The Expenses Tab collects quarterly and YTD expense data in addition to the Annual Budget. The Budget Balance and YTD Totals update each quarter as expenditures are entered.
Federal quarterly payments are calculated on the Operating Reconciliation Tab using data pulled from the Revenues and Expenses Tabs. Data entry is not required on this tab.
Step 1 - Open File
Download the Excel file named 5310 Quarterly Operating Expense and Reconciliation Report rom the Attachment box on this page.
Step 2 - Project Information Tab
Cells highlighted in TAN (Enter only once)
The Project Information can be found in the grantee contract.
- Enter the Grantee Name as listed on the cover page of the contract
- Enter the Project No. as listed on the cover page of the contract
- Example (SPEC-4030-016-161)
- Enter the Contract No. as listed on the first page of the contract
- Example (OH-16-X016)
- Enter the following information that can be found in ARTICLE III: SCOPE OF PROJECTS 3.3
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
- Total Project Cost
- Federal Share
- Local Share
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
- Select the Contract Period Covered from the drop down list. The Contract Period Covered can be found in ARTICLE III: SCOPE OF PROJECTS: 3.2 of the Contract.
- Select the Federal Assistance from the drop down list. The Federal Assistance can be found on the cover page of the contract
- Example (5310 Operating Assistance)
Cells NOT highlighted (Data entry not required)
The following information does not require data entry.
- Federal Grant ALI – This is the Revenue Accounting Line Item (ALI) associated with the Federal Assistance.
- YTD Expenses – This amount pulls from the Expenses Tab
- YTD Revenues – This amount pulls from the Revenues Tab
- Difference – If this amount is NOT $0, the amounts entered on the Expenses Tab do not match the amounts entered on the Revenues Tab.
- The Quarterly Expense & Reconciliation Report will not be processed if this amount is not $0
Step 3 - Revenues Tab
Annual Budget - Cells highlighted in TAN (Enter only once)
- The Operating Revenues must be entered quarterly.
- Report Period Covered – Select the period of time that corresponds to the quarter of revenues being reported from the drop down list.
- 1st QTR Revenues – Period Covered January 1 – March 31
- 2nd QTR Revenues – Period Covered April 1 – June 30
- 3rd QTR Revenues – Period Covered July 1 – September 30
- 4th QTR Revenues – Period Covered October 1 – December 31
- Enter the quarterly revenues by line item.
- 1st QTR TOTALS – Revenues for Jan 1 – March 31
- 2nd QTR TOTALS – Revenues for April 1 – June 30
- 3rd QTR TOTALS – Revenues for July 1 – Sept 30
- 4th QTR TOTALS – Revenues for Oct 1 – Dec 31
- The YTD Totals will update each quarter after the quarter revenues are entered.
Step 4 - Expenses Tab
Annual Budget - Cells highlighted in TAN (Enter only once)
The amounts entered in the Annual Budget Column are found in grantee’s Program Budget approved by ODOT.
- Enter estimated budget line item expenses from the approved “Program Budget.”
- Check the data entered to ensure it reflects the estimated expenses as reflected in the approved Program Budget.
Annual Budget - Cells Highlighted in BLUE (Enter each quarter)
- The Operating Expenses must be entered quarterly.
- Enter the quarterly expense by line item.
- 1st QTR TOTALS – Expenses for Jan 1 – March 31
- 2nd QTR TOTALS – Expenses for April 1 – June 30
- 3rd QTR TOTALS – Expenses for July 1 – Sept 30
- 4th QTR TOTALS – Expenses for Oct 1 – Dec 31
- The YTD TOTALS will update each quarter after the quarter expenses are entered.
- Enter expenses outside the budget revision threshholds on the appropriate Non-Eligible Expense Line Items.
- The TOTAL ELIGIBLE YTD amount must not exceed the TOTAL ELIGIBLE Annual Budget Amount.
Step 5 - Operating Reconciliation Tab
Federal Payment Calculation - (No entry required)
The information on the Reconciliation Tab is populated each quarter using data entered on the Revenues and Expenses Tabs. The following information is included on the Reconciliation Tab:
- Total Eligible Operating Expenses – YTD expenses eligible for reimbursement each quarter.
- Less Local Revenues – YTD operating revenues generated by the project or other funds received from sources other than project grant reimbursements.
- State E&D Grant Funds – Only applicable to Section 5311 Rural Operating Projects.
- Federal Grant Funds Received – This amount will always be $0. Federal funds received will be reported in another location.
- Transportation Revenues – This amount does NOT include Farebox (full fare and reduced fare) and charter service.
- Non-Transportation Revenues – Revenues generated from activities other than providing transportation services.
- Taxes Levied & Dedicated – This can included sales tax, property tax, aging levy, etc.
- Local Cash Grants & Reimbursements – This is the amount of cash provided by the local entity
- Federal Cash Grants and Reimbursements – This includes other Federal grants received directly.
- Contributed Services (In-Kind) – Services provided at no cost.
- Subsidy from other Sectors of Operations – Other revenues.
- Expenses Eligible for Reimbursement – Total Eligible Operating Expenses less Local Revenues Total.
- Less State Assistance Received to Date – Sate GRF funds received YTD.
- Less Federal Assistance Received to Date – YTD amount of Federal funds paid.
- Equals Total Underpaid (Overpaid) to Date – Expenses Eligible for Reimbursement Less State and Federal Assistance received to Date.
- If the total of Federal Assistance Received to Date and Total Underpaid to Date exceeds the Federal Share, the Total Underpaid amount will be reduced to keep the total within the federal share of the contract.
- Additional Local Cash Required to Date - The amount of Local Cash Required to make up the difference of Expenses Eligible for Reimbursement Less State and Federal Assistance Received to Date and Underpaid (Overpaid) to Date.
- Total Eligible Operating Expenses - YTD expenses eligible for reimbursement each quarter.
- Less Farebox Revenue – The total of Full Adult Fares, E&D Fares and Other Reduced Fares.
- Less Charter Service Revenue – Charter Service Revenue.
- Equals Net Operating Expenses – Total Eligible Operating Expenses Less Farebox and Charter Service Revenues.
- Maximum Eligible Federal Assistance – 50% of the Net Operating Expenses up to the Federal Contract Amount.
- Federal Contract Amount – The amount of Federal Share listed in the contract.
- Federal Funds Paid by the End of this Quarter – The amount of funds that will be paid after the current quarter payment is issued.
- Federal Contract Available Balance – Remaining balance after the Total Underpaid (Overpaid) to Date payment is processed.
Operating Reconciliation Signature
Once the information has been verified as accurate and correct, the Operating Reconciliation Report must be signed as follows:
- The first line must contain the signature of the person completing the Quarterly Operating Expense & Reconciliation Report. The signature must be dated.
- The second line must contain the signature of the person authorized by the governing board to submit the Reconciliation Report (request for reimbursement). This individual is the person authorized by resolution to submit the grant. The governing board may designate an alternate to sign invoices through a separate resolution. The signature must be dated.
Step 6 - Review Annual Budget - Each Quarter
The Budget Balanced column must be reviewed each month to determine if a budget line-item exceeds the Annual Budget amount by more than 10%, which could result in a budget revision (see next step). In addition, the Budget Balance will help determine if adjustments are necessary to stay within the established budget.
Step 7 - Budget Revision - As Necessary
Budget revisions must be officially submitted to ODOT with approval by the local governing board. A budget revision request must contain the following information:
- Local governing board approval
- Letter to ODOT stating:
- Reason for request
- Amount of revision (by line item)
- Other information as deemed appropriate by Grantee
ODOT staff will review the request and upon approval, send a concurrence letter to the grantee.
Step 8 - Update Budgets - As Necessary
Upon receipt of the ODOT concurrence letter, grantee must update the tan highlighted cells on the Revenues and/or Expenses Tabs to reflect the approved budget revision.
Step 9 – Quarterly Operating Expense & Reconciliation Report Submission – Quarterly
The Quarterly Operating Expense & Reconciliation Report is now ready for submission.
- Scan the signed report. Save the report with a different file name for each quarter. The file name must be in the following format: a. OPQ#AGENCY – insert the appropriate quarter (#) and your agency name (agency).
- Submit both the Excel and PDF report files for the current quarter to the ODOT Representative.
- Due dates are as follows:
- 1st Quarter (January 1 – March 31) Due April 15th
- 2nd Quarter (April 1 – June 30) Due July 15th
- 3rd Quarter (July 1 – September 30) Due October 15th
- 4th Quarter (October 1 – December 31) Due February 15th
Step 10 - Report Errors - All Quarters
Quarterly Operating Expense & Reconciliation Reports submitted to ODOT for processing are reviewed by the grantee’s ODOT representative. If errors are discovered, they will be discussed with the person who completed the report. Upon resolution of the errors, a corrected report must be signed and resubmitted. If you have questions regarding the information contained in these instructions or the reporting process, please contact your ODOT representative