I-76/I-77/SR 8 Akron Beltway Improvements
About the project
Beginning in the summer of 2021, the Ohio Department of Transportation began a $160 million project to make substantial improvements around the Akron Beltway. The project includes pavement replacement and addition of lanes on I-77 between Waterloo Rd.. and Lovers Lane, pavement replacement on I-76/I-77 from Princeton Ave. to the I-77/State Route 261 interchange and pavement replacement on I-76, I-77 and State Route 8 at the Central Interchange. The project also includes resurfacing of State Route 8 and the addition of a southbound lane on State Route 8 between Carroll St. and Beacon St. and the re-alignment of left hand turn ramps (I-76 westbound to I-77 southbound and I-76 eastbound to State Route 8 northbound) to improve turn radius.
Fall 2021 - Fall 2022
Beginning on Tuesday, March 1, at 4 a.m., the following ramps will be CLOSED through late September 2022:
• I-77 northbound to I-76 eastbound. The detour will be I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore Leg too I-76 eastbound.
• The ramp from I-77 northbound to Wilbeth Rd. The detour will be U.S. 224 eastbound to Kelly Ave.
The follow lane restrictions and ramp closures will occur through late fall 2022:
- I-77 northbound between I-277/ U.S. 244 and SR 8 will be reduced to two lanes.
- The ramp from I-277/U.S. 224 west to I-77 north will be closed.
- The detour will be I-277 west to I-76/Kenmore Leg.
- The ramp from I-277/U.S. 224 east to I-77 north will be closed.
- The detour will be I-76/Kenmore Leg.
The following I-77 on ramps are closed:
- Waterloo Rd. to I-77 north.
- SR 764/Wilbeth Rd. to I-77 north.
- Archwood Ave. to I-77 north
The detour for these closures will be Main St. and Arlington Rd. to I-76 or I-277
The following ramps will be closed beginning Wednesday evening, January 12, at 8 p.m. through late fall 2022:
All ramps to SR 59/Akron Innerbelt westbound from Rand Ave./Rhodes Ave. will be closed.
- The detour will SR 261/V. Odom Blvd. to I-77.
The ramp from SR 59 to I-76 westbound.
- The detour will be SR 261/V. Odom Blvd. to I-77
The following ramp closure and traffic pattern will be in place beginning Thursday evening, January 13 through late fall 2022:
The ramp from I-76 westbound to East Ave. will be closed.
- The detour will be I-76west/I-77 north to V. Odom Blvd. to East Ave.
• Traffic on I-76 west/I-77 north between Princeton St. and the Kenmore Leg will be split into two separate lanes. One lane will remain on I-76 west/I-77 north while the other lane will be crossed over onto I-76 east/I-77 south. Traffic wishing to exit at Dart Ave. or I-76/Kenmore Leg will need to remain in the right lane
November 2021 - May 2023
The ramp from State Route 8 southbound to I-77 northbound/I-76 westbound is CLOSED through May 2023.
- The detour is I-77 southbound to I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore Leg northbound.
The ramp from I-77 northbound to I-76 westbound is CLOSED through May 2023.
- The detour is I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore Leg northbound.
I-77 northbound between I-277/U.S. 224 and the Central Interchange will be reduced to two lanes.
State Route 8 between Carroll St. and I-77/I-76 has various nightly lane restrictions.
I-76 westbound is reduced to two lanes between Main St. and East Ave.
Motorists traveling on State Route 8 southbound between Carroll St. and Johnston St. should be aware of a new traffic pattern. State Route 8 southbound traffic will split with the left lane being crossed over onto State Route 8 northbound, while the right two lanes will continue on State Route 8 southbound.
View Project's Public Comments ()Icon
Public comments regarding our projects are always welcome!
This section is for frequently asked questions and project-related questions. You may notice that some projects require one or more formal comment period(s) with deadlines for comments to be considered during certain phase(s) of the project development process. Typically called the “public comment period," this is when ODOT asks the public for input before an important decision needs to be made, such as choosing a preferred alternative. You may notice these periods generally occur immediately following a public meeting.
All comments received, regardless of when or how they are submitted, will be reviewed and considered and/or responded to by the ODOT project team. Comments received through this forum will, when appropriate, be publicly posted along with ODOT’s response; Such comments will be moderated to remove personal information prior to posting.
Please let us know if you have questions, and thank you for your interest and input on the project!
Filter by Area of Interest
You can filter this list filtering with the topics on the list below.