SR 83 Major Rehabilitation
The project includes the removal and replacement of all existing full-depth pavement within the project limits, including subgrade stabilization, underdrains, and some drainage improvements. Pavement markings will be replaced with recessed wet-reflective markings, raised pavement markings, and guardrail will also be replaced.
The shoulders on the SR 585 interchange ramps will be widened and merge tapers will be increased on the entrance ramps from U.S. 30 westbound and the SR 585 ramp to SR 83 northbound. The SR 83 northbound ramp to Cleveland St. will be changed from a two-lane exit to a one-lane exit. The roadway curvature on SR 83 northbound, south of the SR 3 interchange, will be modified to improve sight distance.
The Project includes structural rehabilitation work including bridge deck patching, concrete culvert repairs and waterproofing, and installing vandal protection fence on the SR 585 bridge over SR 83.
TRAFFIC IMPACTS - All outlined work is weather dependent and is subject to change.
State Route 83 Major Rehab Project – SR 83, from just south of U.S. 30 to Milltown Road, will have daily lane closures for the removal and replacement of all existing full-depth pavement, shoulder widening, ramp improvements, and the roadway curvature on SR 83 northbound, south of SR 3 interchange, will be modified to improve sight distance.
- The entrance ramps from Cleveland Road (SR 3) to SR 83/3 northbound and southbound are closed to ensure a safe work zone for the traveling public. The detour route will be to continue on SR 83/3 southbound to the SR 585 exit, exit onto SR 585 and reenter on SR 83/3 northbound. There is no estimation as to when this ramp will reopen, and it will remain closed until further notice.
- The SR 3/83 northbound exit ramp to SR 3 (Cleveland Road) is closed for 45 days to rebuild the ramp will full depth concrete pavement removal and replacement. The detour route for northbound motorists will be to continue north on SR 3/83 to SR 604, east on SR 604 to SR 3 (Cleveland Road), south on SR 3 (Cleveland Road). Estimated completion: Sunday, July 17, 2022
- SR 3/83 has been placed into a contraflow pattern, from just north of SR 585 to Milltown Road. One lane of northbound traffic will be crossed over, just north of SR 585, to the southbound side of the road in order for crews to begin pavement removal on the northbound lanes.
- Northbound and southbound traffic will be divided by portable concrete barrier wall, from just north of SR 585 to just south of Cleveland Road.
- From just south of Cleveland Road to Milltown Road, northbound and southbound traffic will both still be on the south side of the road; however, cones will divide traffic in this area.
- Traffic will be maintained in one 11’ lane in each direction at all times.
Estimated completion: October 2023
View Project's Public Comments ()Icon
Public comments regarding our projects are always welcome!
This section is for frequently asked questions and project-related questions. You may notice that some projects require one or more formal comment period(s) with deadlines for comments to be considered during certain phase(s) of the project development process. Typically called the “public comment period," this is when ODOT asks the public for input before an important decision needs to be made, such as choosing a preferred alternative. You may notice these periods generally occur immediately following a public meeting.
All comments received, regardless of when or how they are submitted, will be reviewed and considered and/or responded to by the ODOT project team. Comments received through this forum will, when appropriate, be publicly posted along with ODOT’s response; Such comments will be moderated to remove personal information prior to posting.
Please let us know if you have questions, and thank you for your interest and input on the project!
Filter by Area of Interest
You can filter this list filtering with the topics on the list below.