Web Content Viewer

Right-of-Way and Utility Permits

Permits are required when working on the Ohio Department of Transportation's right-of-way. Common activities that occur along state, federal, and interstate highways that require right-of-way permits include:

  • Residential, commercial, and field driveways
  • Landscaping
  • Utility work, including telephone, electric, gas, cable, water, sanitary sewer, and storm sewer
  • Pipeline installation
  • Soil boring
  • Seismic surveys
  • Limited Access Break/ Access Modification - View the FAQs on this topic

ODOT permits are valid only within the limits of state right-of-way as described on the issued permit. All work performed within corporation limits must be approved through the appropriate city or village, as ODOT does not have jurisdiction within corporation limits. Permits for portions of work along county or township right-of-way must be obtained from the appropriate authorities.

Online Permit Applications

Right-of-way and utility permits are now centrally managed by a new online system. This system replaces paper MR 505 forms. Click the button below to access the system.

Right-of-Way E-Permitting System

The E-Permitting System takes the place of paper permit applications. For assistance with the online system, please click here to view support documents or contact a local permits technician.

PLEASE NOTE: To access the E-Permitting System, users must create a myODOT account. Here’s how to register:

  1. Visit the myODOT Website to establish a personal account 
  2. After creating your myODOT account, you may login to Right-of-Way E-Permitting System.
  3. You are ready to apply for Right-of-Way permits in the new system.

Support for right-of-way and utility permits is managed through local district offices. Click the button below to find a permit technician in your area.

See Local Contacts

Featured Right-of-Way and Utility Permit Resources

Resources & Manuals    |   E-Permitting System Support