SINGLE TRIP - This permit is granted for an overweight and/or over-dimensional vehicle to make one move during a 5 day period between two specific points over prescribed routes.
ROUND TRIP - The round trip permit is similar to the trip permit except is includes a return to the stated point of origin during the 5 day period. This type permit would be appropriate when equipment is needed at a job site and is then returned to the point of origin.
CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT - This permit allows unlimited movements of 12 feet wide or less construction machinery to and from job sites for a period not to exceed 365 days. The vehicle/load combination must otherwise legal in accordance with Section 5577.04 to 5577.05 of the Ohio Revised Code. Loads may consist of such equipment as small dozers or backhoes transported on straight trucks, on equipment trailers pulled by trucks, or on semi-trailers hauled by commercial tractor. Field office trailers towed on their own undercarriages may also be included.
FARM EQUIPMENT - This permit allows unlimited movements of 14 feet wide or less farm machinery
and equipment (as defined in Section 4501.01(u) of the Ohio Revised Code) to or from a farm or between two farm implement dealers for a period not to exceed 365 days. The farm equipment shall be part of an over-dimension vehicle whose maximum weight, length and height do not exceed the limitations specified in Sections 5577.02 to 5577.05 of the Revised Code. Loads may be transported on straight trucks, on equipment trailers pulled by trucks, or on semi-trailers hauled by commercial tractor. This permit along with the farm equipment restriction "NOTICE" and any attachments as issued must be carried in the cab of the permitted vehicle during movement.
Manufactured Building / Component
MANUFACTURED BUILDING / COMPONENT - This permit allows unlimited movements of 12 feet
wide or less manufactured building or manufactured building component for a period not to exceed 365 days. (Examples: manufactured house, office trailer, park model RV, yard barn, shed, storage building, gazebo, add-a-room, modular building, portable classroom, roof trusses). The load shall be part of an overdimension vehicle whose maximum weight and height do not exceed the limitations specified in Sections 5577.02 to 5577.05 of the Ohio Revised Code and whose load only length is 60'-0" or less. When loaded on a straight truck, the overall length may not exceed 40'. (Permits will not be issued for built-up loads that are divisible into legal loads or loads that have not been loaded to the least over-dimensional size).
90 Day Continuing
90 DAY CONTINUING - This permits allows unlimited movement for a period not to exceed 90 days for a specific vehicle and approved load for repeated one-way movement between two points over prescribed routes. The permit is issued to the truck or commercial tractor. When indicated on the application, the term "various" trailers may be used. On overweight configurations, the trailers must be identical as far as number of axles, axle spacing, axle weights number of tires on each axle, and the sizes of those tires.
365 Day Continuing
365 DAY CONTINUING - Similar to a 90 DAY CONTINUING except for a period not to exceed 365 days.
3 Or Fewer Steel Or Aluminum Coils
3 or FEWER STEEL COILS or ALUMINUM (SINGLE TRIP AND CONTINUING) - Single trip, 90 Day Continuing or 365 Day Continuing permits may be issued for a legal dimensioned overweight vehicle (in excess of the 80,000 pound GVW legal load limit but not to exceed 120,000 pounds GVW) transporting three or fewer coils of steel or aluminum. Such permits may be issued as a single trip, a continuing permit or annual continuing trip permit for 90 and 365 Day Continuing Permit Requests.
- Shipments must originate from an Ohio "approved" steel or aluminum manufacturer or processor facility OR
- Shipments originating outside the state of Ohio must be legal/permitted in the bordering state. All steel or aluminum coil permit requests originating outside the state of Ohio will be assigned the most direct route to the nearest truck weight enforcement station for inspection and verification of permit compliance.
When a applying for Special Hauling Permits to transport Aluminum Coils, please use the related steel coil permit type (Single Trip 1,2 or 3 Steel Coil; Continuing 3 or Fewer Steel Coil Permit; Continuing Annual 3 or Fewer Steel Coil Permit).
Toledo Port Area
TOLEDO PORT AREA - 90 Day or 365 Day Continuing permits may be issued to allow a vehicle to
make multiple moves between the Michigan/Ohio state line and various port and processing facilities in the Toledo area, hauling "Various Commodities" at Michigan legal weights (up to 154,000 pounds) and includes the use of load equalizing variable load suspension axles. Permits from local governmental agencies may also be required. Each power unit and/or different vehicle configuration will require its own permit.
Delta Steel Complex
DELTA STEEL COMPLEX - 90 Day or 365 Day Continuing permits may be issued to allow a vehicle to make multiple moves between the Michigan/Ohio state line and the Delta Ohio steel complex hauling "Steel Products/Raw Materials" at Michigan legal weights (up to 154,000 pounds) and includes the use of load equalizing variable load suspension axles. Permits from local governmental agencies may also be required. Each power unit and/or different vehicle configuration will require its own permit.
MICHIGAN LEGAL Permits -
90 Day or 365 Day Continuing permits allowing an overweight vehicle movement between a specified point in Williams, Fulton or Lucas counties in Ohio and the Michigan border, over prescribed routes. The permitted weight shall be based on the state of Michigan's weight law, with a gross vehicle weight not to exceed one hundred fifty-four thousand pounds, and shall have sufficient number of axles to meet the Michigan weight law.
International Sealed Containers
INTERNATIONAL SEALED CONTAINERS
ODOT began accepting and processing permits for International Sealed Containers on October 28, 2010. There are only two permit duration types allowed, 45 Day Continuing Permit and 90 Day Continuing Permit. Until ODOT can change the on-line application process the following procedures can be utilized to order permits:
- Verify that the receiving facility has been designated by the Director of Transportation as an Approved Intermodal Facility.
- Ensure that FORM OS-32 has been sent to the permit office per 5501 :2-1-03.
- The Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) for the permitted load does not exceed 94,000 lbs.
- Single Axle Weight does not exceed 29,000 lbs.
- Tandem Axle Weight does not exceed 42,000 lbs.
- Tri-Axle Weight does not exceed 60,000 lbs.
- Application can be made by:
- Mail to: ODOT Central Special Hauling Permit Office
- In person at the address
- The Ohio Hauling Permits System (OHPS):https://haulingpermits.transportation.ohio.gov/
- OHPS application Special Instructions.
- For 90 Day Continuing Permits select Continuing Oversize and/or Overweight
- 45 Day Continuing Permits select Single Trip Oversize and/or Overweight.
- For both permits, in the LOAD DESCRIPTION FIELD enter INTERNATIONAL SEALED CONTAINER
- For both Permits enter the desired date in the Travel Dates Field.
- For the 90 day permit the time frame will be automatically calculated
- For the 45 day permit, the single trip will show 5 days later. This will be manually over ridden by ODOT Technicians, provided that INTERNATIONAL SEALED CONTAINER appears in Load Description and comment in Comment Field stating 45 day permit is being requested.
Regional Heavy Haul Permits
REGIONAL HEAVY HAUL PERMITS
Beginning January 27, 2014 ODOT began issuing Regional Heavy Haul permits under the following conditions:
- Permits will be issued for divisible loads dimension and weight.
- Each permit may have up to 4 additional destinations within the maximum total travel distance (additional fees for each destination will be applied).
- Vehicles/Loads with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 120,000 lbs. or less; Height 14 ft. 6 in. or less; width 14 ft. less may obtain either Single Trip or Continuing 90 Day Permits.
- Vehicles/Loads with a GVW greater than 120,000 lbs.; height greater than 14 ft. 6 in,; width greater than 14 ft. are limited to Single Trip Permits.
- 90 Day Regional Heavy Haul Permits for Steel or Aluminum Coils may be obtained, provided the vehicle/load has a GVW of less than 120,000 lbs. If greater than 120,000 lbs., a Single Trip Regional Heavy Haul Permit is available.
- To apply for a Regional Heavy Haul Permit, on the permit application page, select from the following existing permit types:
- Single Trip
i. Oversize Only
iii. 1,2,or 3 Steel Coils*
i. Oversize Only
iii. 3 or Fewer Steel Coils*
- After selecting from the above permit types, complete the application as usual, except enter into the Comment Field- “Regional Heavy Haul Permit”.
- Up to 4 additional destinations can be added to the permit. To add additional destinations, enter the location and the routes to be used in the Comment field.
- Single Trip
- This permit type is to be used when applying for the applicable permit to transport Aluminum Coils.
Since June 2009, it is possible to order a "blanket" special hauling permit for boats not to exceed 365 days duration. This permit type will be limited to these overall dimensions and weight....LEGAL weight, LEGAL height, LEGAL length and up to 12 feet wide. The Origin and Destination will be "VARIOUS POINTS" and the Routing will be "ALL STATE, US, AND INTERSTATE ROUTES".
The Ohio Hauling Permit System now has this permit type on the "Application Screen" under "Blanket Permits".
Note - the fee for this permit will be $100.
Note - this BOAT Hauling Permit is not related to the MARINA Hauling Permit. Do not confuse the two.
WATERCRAFTS: CALL BEFORE YOU HAUL
Watercrafts destined for Washington, Oregon, Idaho, or Montana must contact The Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission (PSMFC) to have your watercraft inspected and if need be, decontaminated. This program aims to prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species. Call 1-844-311-4873 prior to hauling. For more information visit https://www.westernais.org/watercraft
Section 5501:2-1-10 of the Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) states that if an overweight and/or oversized vehicle/load movement is made in conjunction with a bona fide public construction project, the hauling permit fee will be $10.00.
The Payment Page will allow you to choose the $10 fee for Public Projects for any permit type except "blankets". Click on the "Payment Method" dropdown. (Note- The credit card payment method will not work in conjunction with this feature. For those events, select credit card payment and add a clear statement in the Comments field to alert the Permit Technician).
If you select Public Project in the Payment Method, a new field appears to write in the Project Number (max 20 characters). If the project number is unknown or does not have a project number, enter in a name or description of the project. This field cannot be blank. Use the Comment field as needed to enter more data.
For all Public Projects applications, you must enter the governmental project contact whose agency is paying for/managing the public project. (This is not the contractor contact, but a state, local government, school district, or other public agency contact.) If the hauler is a subcontractor, the hauler must still provide the correct governmental project contact. This contact and their phone # is required to be shown in the Comment field of the data entry “Payment” page. All project contacts will be telephoned by this office. If the government agency does not verify that the hauler moved equipment to I from the project site during the time frame of the permit, the hauler will be contacted and required to provide better information or pay the full price of the permit.