Summit County (Thursday, September 23, 2021) – The following construction projects are anticipated to affect highways in Summit County next week. All scheduled work is weather permitting.
Interstate 76 widening and reconstruction, Akron & Barberton – reconfiguration of I-76/Wooster Rd./State St. interchange to improve traffic. Project also includes widening of I-76 between Summit Rd. and 27th St. Estimated completion, summer 2022.
- The ramp from I-76 eastbound to State Route 619/Wooster Rd. is closed through summer 2021. The detour is I-76 eastbound to State St. to Wooster Rd.
- The ramp from I-76 westbound to State Route 619/Wooster Rd. is CLOSED through late fall 2021. The detour is I-76 westbound to Barber Rd. to I-76 eastbound to State St.
- I-277 west Motorists should be aware of a bi-directional traffic with I-76 eastbound and westbound reduced to two lanes in each direction with all lanes being maintained on the newly constructed eastbound side of I-76.
Interstate 76/77 Akron Beltway reconstruction, Akron – reconstruction of I-76/I-77 between Princeton Ave. to V. Odom Blvd., I-77 between Cole Ave. and Waterloo Rd., and at State Route 8/I-76/I-77 Central Interchange.
The following lane restrictions and closures are currently in place:
- I-77 northbound/I-76 westbound at the Kenmore Leg is CLOSED through late October. The detour will be I-77 southbound to I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore Leg northbound.
- I-77 southbound at the Kenmore Leg is CLOSED through late October. The detour is I-76/Kenmore Leg southbound to I-277 eastbound to I-77.
- The ramp from State Route 8 southbound to I-77 northbound/I-76 westbound is CLOSED through May 2023. The detour is I-77 southbound to I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore Leg northbound.
- The ramp from I-77 northbound to I-76 westbound is CLOSED through May 2023. The detour is I-277 westbound to I-76/Kenmore Leg northbound.
- The ramp from Carroll St. to State Route 8 southbound is closed through late September. The detour is Fountain St. to Perkins St.
- I-77 northbound and southbound between State Route 8 and I-277/U.S. 224 has various nightly lane restrictions.
- State Route 8 between Carroll St. and I-77/I-76 has various nightly lane restrictions.
- Motorists traveling on State Route 8 southbound between Carroll St. and Johnston St. should be aware of a new traffic pattern. State Route 8 southbound traffic will split with the left lane being crossed over onto State Route 8 northbound, while the right two lanes will continue on State Route 8 southbound.
- I-77 northbound and southbound between I-277/U.S. 224 and Arlington Rd. is reduced to three 11-foot lanes.
- The ramp from I-277 eastbound to I-77 southbound will be reduced to one lane.
Estimated completion, July 2024.
Interstate 77 slide repair, Richfield Township
I-77 southbound just south of Brecksville Rd. will have various nightly lane closures between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. Estimated completion, early October.
Interstate 480 noise wall construction, Twinsburg
I-480 westbound is reduced to one lane between I-271 and State Route 82 through late August. Estimated completion, late October 2021.
State Route 8 reconstruction in Cuyahoga Falls, Stow, Hudson & Boston Heights – complete pavement replacement on State Route 8 between Graham Rd. and State Route 303. Estimated completion, July 2022.
CONTINUING IMPACT - State Route 8 southbound traffic is split into two separate lanes. The left lane will be crossed over onto State Route 8 northbound, while the right lane will use the State Route 8 southbound right lane. Motorists wishing to exit State Route 8 southbound at Graham Rd., Seasons Rs., Steels Corners Rd. or SR 303 need to remain in the right lane.
State Route 18 resurfacing, Akron & Fairlawn
State Route 18 between Revere Rd. and Rand Ave. has various daily and nightly lane restrictions. Estimated completion, November 2021.
State Route 91, U.S. 224 & Canton Rd. widening and safety improvements, Lakemore & Springfield Township
NEW IMPACT - Beginning on Sunday, October 3, the following traffic pattern changes will occur:
- No right turns will be permitted for trucks from State Route 91 southbound to U.S. 224 westbound. The detour will be Canton Rd. southbound to Springfield Lake Dr turnaround to Canton Rd. northbound.
- No left turns will be permitted from U.S. 224 eastbound to State Route 91 northbound. The detour will be Canton Rd. southbound to Springfield Lake Dr turnaround to Canton Rd. northbound.
- No right turns are permitted for trucks from U.S. 224 eastbound to Canton Rd. southbound through Sunday, October 3. The detour is Canton Rd. northbound to Linwood Rd. turnaround to Canton Rd. south.
- No left turns are permitted for trucks from U.S. 224 westbound to Canton Rd. southbound. The detour is Canton Rd. northbound to Linwood Rd. turnaround to Canton Rd. south.
- U.S. 224 between E. Park Way and Ewart Rd. is reduced to one lane in each direction through late fall 2021.
- Canton Rd. and State Route 91 is reduced to one lane in each direction between the Lakemore Shopping Plaza and Russet Lane.
- Canton Rd between Springfield Lake Dr and US 224 cannot make a left turn. NB traffic should use the U-turn at Linwood Rd and SB traffic should use the U-turn at Springfield Lake Dr.
Estimated completion, May 2022.
2nd St., Wooster Rd., and Norton Ave. resurfacing, Barberton
The following routes will have various lane restrictions:
- Wooster Road North between Norton Ave. and Burt St.
- Norton Ave., between Barber Rd. and Wooster Road North.
- 2nd St. SW from Hudson Rd. to Wooster Rd.
Estimated completion, October 2021.
State Route 241, roundabouts Green
State Route 241 between State Route 619 and I-77 has various daily lane restrictions for paving through early October. Motorists should expect delays in the area.