Current and upcoming road closures and restrictions for Muskingum County are listed below. Click on each route to see the location at OHGO.com.
Interstate 70 reconstruction in downtown Zanesville - This project will reconstruct I-70 though the city of Zanesville, resurface I-70 between U.S. 40 and State Route 93. Full reconstruction will begin west of the Licking Road overpass, including the Maple Avenue ramps and Maple Avenue at the end of the ramps, and end east of the abandoned railroad overpass. The project also impacts 16 bridges in the area.
- New impacts:
- Nightly lane closures continue. Work hours will are 9:00pm to 6:00am.
- The I-70 west will be restricted to one lane on Friday, December 3, beginning at 9:00 a.m. for striping/safety improvements on the east end of the the project limits.
- 7th Street will close beginning the week of December 6 for demo and then re-open
- 6th Street will close beginning mid to late December for demo and then re-open
- I-70 WB is currently in its phase one construction configuration. The 6th Street on-ramp to I-70 WB is also closed and will remain closed during phases 1, 2, and 3 construction, which is approximately 5.5 years (through Summer 2027). Motorists wanting to access I-70 WB should use the on-ramp at State Street.
- Both Underwood Street ramps are open to traffic.
- 7th Street will close under I-70 for a week beginning Monday, December 6 for bridge demolition. The posted detour will be Elm St. to 6th St. to Howard St. to 5th St. to Shinnick St. to 7th St.
- The Maple Ave flyover ramp to I-70 EB is now closed and I-70 EB is in its phase one traffic configuration. The Maple Ave ramp to I-70 EB will be closed for all of phase 1 and 2 construction, which will last approximately 4 years (through Fall 2025). The posted detour for the Maple Ave flyover is Adair Ave (SR 60) to Underwood Street to I-70 EB.
- The reason for the 5.5-year ramp closure of 6th Street on ramp to I-70 WB and the 4-year closure of the Maple Ave ramp to I-70 EB is due to the extensive work being done on the bridge over the Muskingum River. If you look at the graphic here, it shows the traffic switches for each phase of construction. During phase one, two lanes of I-70 will be maintained in each direction on the outer portion of I-70. It would be unsafe to keep the 6th street ramp and the Maple Ave ramp open due to lack of merge space for traffic attempting to access I-70.
- All work is weather dependent and dates are subject to change. For more project details, click here.
State Route 60 full depth replacement - This project will replace the pavement between Duncan Falls and the Muskingum/Morgan County line. Estimated project completion is August 2023.
- New impacts: Project will resume in spring 2022.