I-76, I-77, and Central Interchange reconstruction
About the project
The project will reconstruct pavement along parts of I-76 and I-77 and reconfigure the Central Interchange in Akron. The project will include:
- Adding lanes on I-77 northbound and southbound between the Central Interchange and Waterloo Road and on SR 8 southbound between Carroll Street and the Central Interchange.
- Pavement replacement on I-76/I-77 between Vernon Odom Boulevard (SR 261) and Princeton Street.
- Pavement replacement on I-77 between the Central Interchange and Waterloo Road.
- Noise wall construction.
- Rehabilitation work on several bridge structures.
Work at the Central Interchange will include:
- Reconfiguration of the following ramps:
- I-76 westbound to I-77 southbound.
- I-76 westbound to state Route 8 northbound.
- I-76/I-77 eastbound to state Route 8 northbound.
- Replacement of the Lafollette Street overpass over I-77 with a new pedestrian and bicyclists bridge.
- Removal of Coventry Street between Lafollette and Kipling streets and conversion of the area into a multi-use trail.
- Removal of the Inman Street/Johnston Street exit ramp and the Lover Lane exit ramp to improve safety.
- Noise wall construction at select locations.
View Project's Public Comments ()Icon
Public comments regarding our projects are always welcome!
This section is for frequently asked questions and project-related questions. You may notice that some projects require one or more formal comment period(s) with deadlines for comments to be considered during certain phase(s) of the project development process. Typically called the “public comment period," this is when ODOT asks the public for input before an important decision needs to be made, such as choosing a preferred alternative. You may notice these periods generally occur immediately following a public meeting.
All comments received, regardless of when or how they are submitted, will be reviewed and considered and/or responded to by the ODOT project team. Comments received through this forum will, when appropriate, be publicly posted along with ODOT’s response; Such comments will be moderated to remove personal information prior to posting.
Please let us know if you have questions, and thank you for your interest and input on the project!
Filter by Area of Interest
You can filter this list filtering with the topics on the list below.